Featured Blog

Cranking Widgets Blog

By Brett Kelly

The 8 Steps of Goal Setting

Everyone has at least one goal in life; To be rich, to be happy, to have a family, to be a CEO, to have that car or that house. But not many have set their goals in writing with a deadline, to be exact about 2% of all adults have set their goals in writing. The interesting fact is that those 2% make as much money as the other 98% put together.

Why Creative People Need to Be Eccentric

Do you ever feel like your regular habits are a little bit crazy? We investigate why eccentricity is essential to doing great work.

7 Tips for Giving Effective Praise.

Every Wednesday is Tip Day. This Wednesday: 7 tips for giving effective praise. Gold-star junkie that I am, I was once grumbling to my mother about the fact that some extraordinarily praiseworthy effort on my part had gone unremarked. My mother wisely responded, "Most people probably don't get the appreciation they deserve." That's right, I realized -- for instance, my mother!

Spare Change: Colored Comments Edition

Great news, everyone. By popular request, comment numbering is back! When we moved to threaded comments last month, we lost numbered comments. While I think everyone loves the threaded comments (so much easier to follow conversations), a lot of us liked comment numbering because it let us remember where we left off in the discussion.

Accelerated Learning

When I was in college, I took a semester course in organic chemistry.

Win the War on Debt: 80 Ways to Be Frugal and Save Money

The manliness of frugality cannot be overstated. Frugality cultivates the manly qualities of independence, self-reliance, self-sufficiency, simplicity, and minimalism. It keeps a man free from the enslaving chains of debt and gives him an sense of manly pride and satisfaction.

Bekvam + Fullen Solve 3 Problems

Materials: Bekvam, Fullen, Ekby Valter, Saw, Drill, Rotozip Description: My family and I recently moved to a new apartment. We brought with us a 3 year old Bekvam kitchen cart that simply did not work for our new kitchen. Rather than sell or throw away the Bekvam, I decided to make use of the wood and hardware. Our bathroom had a sink mounted on the wall with no storage underneath.

Air urchin

Materials: regolit lamp shade, yarn and crochet hook Description: With some left over yarn I started a circular geometric crochet pattern with a globe shape and applied to the lamp! Simple, cheap and super cute! ~ Raquel, Porto (Portugal)

James Chartrand Interview

Advertise here with BSASite: Men with Pens In this interview learn from James Chartrand of how to take your freelancing to the next level. He outlines ways you can grow from a freelancer into an agency, sell your own educational products, and increase your revenue. He runs Men with Pens where he manages a team of creatives that deliver copywriting and graphic design services.

Custom painted Snudda

Materials: Snudda lazy susan, acrylic paint and urethane finish Description: My inner 1950's mom came out and I purchased the Snudda about a year and a half ago. I wanted to paint it and do something, but needed some time to think. After being held hostage for a week in the snow I painted.

Unitasker Wednesday: Woozie

All Unitasker Wednesday posts are jokes — we don’t want you to buy these items, we want you to laugh at their ridiculousness. Enjoy! Oh, Woozie, who is your intended target market? Who needs you? Regular wine drinkers know better than to pour more wine into their glasses than they can consume before the drink gets too warm.

The Simple Dollar Weekly Roundup: Tangled Edition

Early this week, my daughter caught a case of the flu. She was feverish and spent most of Monday dozing on the couch. Her only requests for most of the day was that I sit near her, keep her water bottle filled, and that we watch Tangled.

Three uncluttering projects you can probably do right now

Getting started with the uncluttering process may feel overwhelming. If you’re new to uncluttering, you may feel like there is too much to do and the process will take too much time.

The Investment Piece: One Investment That’s No Investment At All

This post is from staff writer April Dykman. It never fails.

FreelancerPro Interview: The Accidental Medical Writer

Advertise here with BSA So often when people think of writing, they picture novelists or journalists. But have you considered medical writing? There is a great deal of opportunity to thrive as a medical writer, and build a career in this arena, for those that take the necessary steps, such as getting to know the field, attending conferences, and networking in this niche.